You absolutely must trigger an emotional response with your copy if you intend to get response - whether you're looking for a lead or a sale. It doesn't matter who you're marketing to, either: Business - to - business sales are still decided by human beings, just like consumer sales. And all human beings buy on emotion.
With that in mind, here are 7 ways to trigger emotions in your copy:
- Tell a story. A good story captures attention, and draws the reader in. Right away, his emotions are stirred, and he cares about the outcome. Meanwhile, a lesson or sales message can be conveyed without resistance. And that message will be remembered much longer, as good stories are hard to forget.
- Paint a picture. Be vivid in your descriptions. Let the prospect see himself enjoying life after your product or service has solved his problem.
- Stimulate all five senses. By merely describing the sight, smell, feel, sound and taste of something, you make it real to your prospect. You mentally transport her to where you are - or transport your product to her. She'll be aware, engaged - and emotionally involved with what you're telling her.
- Promise benefits. Show her what you're going to do for her. Tell her how her life will be better, how time will be saved - and what she'll do with that time - by using your product. Let her know What's In It For Me.
- Use power words. Give your copy punch and excitement by using action words and vivid descriptors. Avoid all forms of the verb "to be." Show your product or service in action, and it will impact her heart.
- Use a friendly tone of voice. Speak directly to your prospect, and sound like you're talking to a friend. Read your copy aloud and see if it passes the "barstool test." If it sounds like you're talking to the person on the barstool beside you, it's good. If any line or sentence makes you stumble, rewrite it.
- Be honest. Banish all hype and half truths. Emotion is conveyed subtly, and so is dishonesty. The same prospect "radar" that will pick up your passion and sincerity will also sound the alarm if you're lying. Your prospect will catch on, and you'll lose her.
Use these tips to honestly trigger emotion in your prospects. If you combine them with an offer that truly brings value to her life, you and your prospect will both be winners.